Information on:

Tunbridge World's Fair

Tunbridge World's Fair
1 Fairground Lane


The World’s Fair, Tunbridge, Vermont, by Euclid Farnham, Arcadia Publishers 2008, is on sale at the Gift shop for $19.99

Pictures of the fair over the years appear courtesy the Tunbridge Fair Historical Archives. The earliest known photograph of the fair at its current location dates from around 1880. The first thing that was laid out in the flat bottom land of a hayfield next to the First Branch of the White River, was a one-mile race track for the Tunbridge Trotting Park. Horse racing was extremely popular, and a grandstand and judge’s stand were soon built. Floral Hall followed for all the competitive farm arts and crafts.

Over time views of the fairgrounds always include a harness race in process, even after horses and buggies gave way to motor cars. The midway seemed to be concentrated on the east side of the grandstand with parking in the middle of the oval track. Later, concessions and amusements moved into the flat oval area, and parking fields to the south of the fairgrounds were created.

In 1902 after going strong for a good 35 years the fair incorporated under the Union Agricultural Society, and as a result, received the 2012 Vermont State Centennial Award for non-profit businesses.

Tunbridge World's Fair is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media