The Cornish Colony Museum is run by a non-profit corporation: The Cornish Colony Museum Foundation. Its mission is the continued display of the artistic accomplishments of the famous artists, sculptors, writers, architects and landscape designers who lived and worked in this area of New Hampshire and Vermont, twin communities which sit astride the Connecticut River. The educational displays concentrate primarily on the 50 year period from 1885 to 1935, and are devoted to preserving the memories of that turn-of-the-century era.
From 1998 through 2004, the Foundation was fortunate to have had the use of the historic house called "Mastlands" in Cornish in which to mount a series of memorable displays for each of seven summers of the art and sculpture of the Cornish Colony.
In 2005, the museum moved to the Old Firehouse Building building at 147 Main Street, Windsor, Vermont